I don’t know how often you read. I don’t know what types of books you enjoy reading. To be honest, I don’t know if you like to read at all. However, reading is still one of the best ways to learn and grow in life. My Grammy (my Dad’s mom) is a prolific reader. She has read too many books to count. While I have not always loved to read, she has (along with others in my life) instilled a great appreciation for good books. And being that today is her birthday – I thought this list would be particularly appropriate.
In my Christian walk I have found that sometimes I need to adjust the style of writing I read in order to sharpen my knowledge and even to train my mind to learn in different ways. With that being said here is a list of the types of books I would like to recommend that you read in the coming year. (I decided to recommend a book for each type- just for good measure). The following list is intended to challenge you to read one book a month in 2017 – I hope you can take the challenge.
- A book of the Old Testament (Genesis)
- A book about an Old Testament book (Worthy to Worship- a study of Habakkuk)
- A book of the New Testament (John)
- A book about the New Testament (To Live is Christ to Die is Gain – A study of Philippians)
- A book on the Holy Spirit (Forgotten God)
- A history book (For the Glory)
- An autobiography (George Mueller)
- A Biography (Swan Series)
- A book about evangelism (The Master Plan of Evangelism)
- A book on missions (Let the Nations Be Glad)
- A book about God (The Attributes of God)
- A book concerning current issues (Counter Culture)