“Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me.” Yeah right. Words hurt bad. But as bad as they can hurt, they can also uplift and build up all the more. For some people the words you say to them are the most significant way you display how you feel about them.
Gary Chapman describes this love language as “Words of Affirmation.” As we continue to approach this Valentines Day here is a list of 10 ways you can show your spouse you love them if Words of Affirmation are what speak to his/her heart the most.
- Write her a note – Handwritten note, not just store bought
- Text – A quick text that is checking in or simply says “I love you.”
- Call – Similar to texting him/her, take time to make a quick call to check on him/her day.
- Thank you – When he/she does a small task that seems mundane and regular express how grateful you are for him/her.
- Celebrate – Publicly brag on him/her (this does not always have to be in his/her presence – things have a way of getting back to his/her).
- Hallmark – Use store bought cards some too, sometimes they say what you wanted to say just better.
- Sticky note – Before you leave the house place a quick note of “I love you” or “You are beautiful” can go a long way.
- Write a poem – You may think you are not good at this but try. Make an acrostic of his/her name or write a word that describes him/her for every word of the alphabet.
- Speak tenderly – Guys, we can be harsh without even meaning to. So, speak with a gentle voice.
- Say I LOVE YOU – Don’t let a day go by without him/her hearing you say those words.
One thought on “Giving someone an ear full”
Your dad has done these things to show his love for me! You learned from the best!
I still get a sticky note EVERY MORNING!